The new building occupies a prominent and steeply sloping site in a conservation area, close to the main university building of 1907, designed by Henry T Hare.
The project provides teaching and research space over three floors. for this flagship department. The second phase consisted of a second wing and the addition of a glass roof over the central space. The two phases of the building were planned to link to the older department buildings, and offer spectacular views of Snowdonia to all who work in the building.
The building was conceived as a modern intervention incorporating materials appropriate to the local environment including white rendered walls and a Welsh slate roof.
The university seems to have embarked on a new phase of development where necessary economy and a proper sense of style go hand in hand.